Friday, April 18, 2008

Why didn't Miguel Cotto call out Mayweather post fight?

I'm a big fan of both guys, and I thought this point was worthy of it's own discussion.
Cotto's undeniably the strong silent type, and doesn't often do a lot of trash talking. But he's made quite a few comments about Mayweather in the press leading up to this fight. Larry Merchant was definitely stirring the pot prodding Cotto to call for Mayweather, and he danced around the question.

I'm not suggesting for a second he's afraid of Mayweather, nor do I think he's uninterested in the fight. It just seems to me for all the arguing between the fans about this match up, you would have thought Cotto would have seized the opportunity to call for Mayweather as Hatton did post fight vs. Castillo.
I think neither of them are overly eager to fight the other anytime soon. Both of them have downplayed fighting each other when directly questioned about the prospect.

No comments: